- This event has passed.
EDPD 525 Strategies for Teaching Children of Poverty June 12-21
June 12 @ 8:00 am - June 21 @ 5:00 pm
EDPD 525 Strategies for Teaching Children of Poverty COURSE DETAILS
DEADLINE TO REGISTER: June 3, 2019
–Class Size LIMITED–
Meeting Dates Locations Times
Wednesday, June 12, 2019 (FM Campus – Room TBD) 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Thursday, June 13, 2019 (FM Campus – Room TBD) 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Monday, June 17, 2019 (FM Campus – Room TBD) 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Tuesday, June 18, 2019 (Attend Poverty Simulation – FM Campus) 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Wednesday, June 19, 2019 (Attend Summer Institute – FM Campus) 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Thursday, June 20, 2019 (Attend Summer Institute – FM Campus) 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Friday, June 21, 2019 (FM Campus – Room TBD) 8:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Grades will be submitted to the FM registrar’s office no later than July 10, 2019. You may access official transcripts approximately 2 weeks later by visiting the Francis Marion University website at http://www.fmarion.edu. Letters stating successful course completion for certification purposes can be provided by June 30, 2019.
Course Cost (NON-REFUNDABLE):
$100 – Check payable to Pee Dee Education Center
Out of SC Student?
$ 25 – Additional fee required by SC law
COPY of Driver’s License AND COPY of Passport OR Birth Certificate
3 Graduate Professional Development Credit Hours
Important notes about credit: This course…
- WILL typically be acceptable for SC recertification credit
- WILL NOT typically count for degree programs at most institutions
- WILL NOT meet requirements for Add-On Certification for Teachers of Children of Poverty
It is the always the responsibility of the student
to determine how this course will meet individual needs for recertification or degree requirements.
Upon successful completion of this course, the graduate student will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of life in poverty.
- Explore strategies grounded in the science of learning that are specifically designed to support the needs of under-resourced learners.
- Demonstrate a commitment to ongoing learning, teacher leadership and advocacy for children of poverty.
What to Expect:
This face-to-face course will include an in-depth study of the Center’s 25 strategies for teaching children of poverty. Each strategy will be explored through the lens of neuroscience, and students will be encouraged to consider ways to apply each strategy in their own schools and with their own students.
- During each class period, students will create a personalized representation of their learning around each of the 25 strategies. This representation will be submitted for assessment at the conclusion of the course.
- Course content will primarily be provided during face-to-face sessions on June 12, June 13, and June 17, therefore, students are required to attend and actively participate in all class meetings in order to earn credit for the course. There are NO EXCUSED ABSENCES.
- Three class meeting days (June 18, 19, and 20) will be held in conjunction with the Center of Excellence to Prepare Teachers of Children of Poverty’s annual Poverty Simulation and Summer Institute. This conference for educators and stakeholders is convened on the campus of Francis Marion University. Students do not have to pay to register for the Summer Institute in addition to the course registration fee, but attendance on each of the three days of the Simulation and Institute is required in order to be eligible to earn course credit. Note: Assignments from conference activities are included in the course requirements.
Ready to Register?
Enrollment is limited for this course. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come basis and may be accepted in person or by mail. Only COMPLETE registrations can be accepted to reserve a seat in the class.
Steps to register:
- Download and complete this registration form: HERE
- Attach payment
- Check or Money Order Payable to Pee Dee Education Center
- $100 – SC resident
- $125 – Out of SC resident
- Attach copies of Driver’s License AND either Passport or Birth Certificate
- Mail or hand-deliver package to:
Center of Excellence to Prepare Teachers of Children of Poverty
520 Francis Marion Road
Florence, SC 29502
ATTENTION: EDPD REGISTRATION
The Center is located in the Pee Dee Education Center (across the street from Wallace Gregg Elementary)
and is open 8 AM – 5:15 PM Monday – Thursday.
Dr. Tammy Pawloski Center of Excellence
firstname.lastname@example.org 843.661.1828 or 843.661.1826