I’ll never forget the day when a red rubber bracelet was my most important accessory. After beginning our regular morning routine, I was confronted by an angry colleague in my
A primary cause of student misbehaviors is teacher miss-steps. Research suggests a series of best practices that can be employed to engage students and advance learning goals. The best news for teachers is that changing one’s own teacher moves is the easiest change to make—much easier than changing a student’s behavior or that of an entire class.
Easley, K. (2020, March 17). I’ve Been Teaching Online for Years. Here’s How to Prevent Burnout During a School Closure. Retrieved March 27, 2020.
Yes, it is possible to experience burnout while teaching online. With the current surge in schools turning to the web to keep instruction going while physical buildings are closed, many
Klein, A. (2020, February 25). There are smart ways to use time to aid learning, research shows. Why Do So Many Schools Ignore Them? Retrieved March 9, 2020.
Schools that prioritize emotional and social development and other soft skills over test scores enable students to perform better in school and later in life, according to a Northwestern University
Petronzio, M. (2012, August 13). Only 2% if People Can Multitask Successfully. Retreived March 9, 2020.
Despite the numerous gadgets and apps that help us get through our days, research suggests that only 2% of people can multitask effectively. As for the remaining 98%? They’re actually
Knight, J. (2019, November). Why Teacher Autonomy is Central to Coaching Success. Retrieved January 31, 2020.
To foster improvement and responsible accountability, instructional coaches must honor teachers’ choices and discretion.
Redd, A. (2020, January 22). This Teacher Spent a Day as a 4th Grader. Now She’s Rethinking Her Career. Retreived January 31, 2020.
If you think you’re tired after a day of teaching, you should try being a 4th grader. I recently spent a day shadowing a 4th grade student at the school
Blad, E. (2016, September 20). Teachers Seize on ‘Growth Mindset,’ But Crave More Training. Retreived January 29, 2020.
As enthusiasm about “growth mindset” spreads across schools, researchers who popularized the idea are concerned that teachers might not have the resources or understanding to use it effectively in their
Lovette, G. E. & Kenni, L. A. (2019, December 16). It’s Not Just Teachers Who Need a Lesson in the Science of Reading. Retrieved January 15, 2020.
Despite the billions of dollars devoted to improving reading outcomes, the 2019 NAEP results confirm that our country remains mired in a decades-long literacy crisis: Nearly two-thirds of our nation’s
Sawchuk, S. (2019, December 3). Improved Reading Isn’t Just a Teaching Shift. It’s a Culture Shift. Retreived January 15, 2020.
Already troubled by her 4th grade students’ low reading levels, San Antonio-area teacher Melody Fernandez entered “survival mode” when she was moved down to 1st grade—and discovered the full scope
Ferlazzo, L. (2019, December 8). Instuctional Coaching Conversations Must be ‘Built on Relationships’. Retreived January 15, 2020.
Sydney Chaffee, Cindy Garcia, Carrie Johnson, Roxanna Elden, Tatiana Esteban, Heather Register, Ashley Blackwelder, and Dawn Mitchell “kicked off” the five-part series in Part One. You can listen to a